Saturday, December 8, 2007

Drag Queens are Really Very Lovely People

I know my fair share of Queens...very nice men who opt to dress and live as women. I have been to my fair share of drag shows, usually full of Chers, Brittneys and the occasional Beyonce who belt out tunes from the 70s, 80s and 90s. One of my favorites is "These Boots were made for Walkin'." One of the best activities Iowa City--complete with its quilts, fairs, corn and pies...I loved it--had to offer was the Sunday night drag show. My friends and I went, ate the free pizza and got free make-up tips from some very nice Queens. So, all things considered, I think I"m fairly open minded and tolerant.

Unless it infringes on my job.

Last week, the yearbook staff was taking the "Best of the Best" student pictures: most involved, class clown, most spirited...you get the picture. The yearbook editor--a very responsible, honest, hardworking child--had won the female title of "most spirited"; she and her male counterpart were going to take their pictures on Friday. She comes running into the classroom, and breathlessly asks "Ms. Daughtery...can I please change into my cheerleading uniform?" I told her that's not a problem. She grabs a uniform and starts dashing toward the door. Then a second yearbook staffer/cheerleader goes running off after her, holding a second uniform. I stop child no2 and ask "What's that for?" The first girl stops and says "That's for James."

Excuse me?

So I ask "Excuse me?"

She replies "Ms. Daughtery, he's going to wear my uniform for the most spirited picture. It'll be sooooo funny. "

I respond, with one eyebrow slightly raised, "No. He's not"

At this point, I feel the need to point out a few things:

1. I am a NEW teacher to this district and I am on PROBATION and have to get through the year without choking, strangling, berating, bullying, cursing or screaming at a child.

2. I work in a community which is VERY heavily Mormon. There's someone named The Bishop all the kids talk about and as far as I can tell, this man has direct access to Jesus.

3. I am a NEW teacher to this district and I am on PROBATION and have to get through the year without choking, strangling, berating, bullying, cursing or screaming at a child.

So, after explicitly stating that James could not wear the cheerleader uniform, the winner sulked off and I could hear her thoughts "Ugh! She is SO uncool."

I waited 10 minutes then thought....hmmm....if I were 13 what would I do? So I went to the hallway to find Haley in her cheerleading uniform and James in her cheerleading uniform, doing what appeared to be a hurkle.

After putting his leg down, he stood there, short and squat in a skirt and lycra sleeveless top. She stood still and began to tear up. When is summer vacation?

What a day.

2 comments:

Maidie said...

Queens are people, too.

Anonymous said...

GO JAMES, GO!!!