Thursday, November 29, 2007

Age Ain't Nuthin but a Number

Yesterday, as I was checking my mail, I came across a very interesting envelope. It was addressed to me, but the addressee was none other than the AARP (American Association of Retired Persons?) Anyway, they sent me a letter. Much too curious to dismiss a letter from my favorite social group that fights for freedom for all, I opened the envelope.

Inside was a letter. It read: Dear Miah Daughtery. We see you have not activated your AARP benefits, though you are eligible. With AARP you can have access to discounts nationwide on health, car, and boat insurance. Please hurry and activate your card today. The letter went on to detail all the benefts I would have as an AARP member and was accompainied by my official AARP card and membership number.

Today, as I was putting the last of some horrific essay grades into my gradebook, I had a very intersting conversation. A student and I were talking and I was saying to him that I was looking for a summer job in New York. He said the following "Ms. Daughtery, you're too old for a summer job." And went on to say that only people his age were eligible for summer jobs.

So if I'm too old for a summer job, can I activate my AARP membership?

*M*

3 comments:

Chief Chi Chi said...

well shit if you are old AP, i guess i'm at death's door. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I know I am very late, but you should def. activate that membership that is how my mother met her beau of now 2 years, or at least one of them....the others she has met in the hip/joint replacement rehab centers. HAHAHA...but seriously, mom got mo business than me now these days.

Maidie said...

Go ahead and activate it. They just want your money.... and you get their discounts.

I became formally eligible myself about three weeks ago.