Last week, in the midst of all the testing chaos (and there was chaos) a new girl enrolled in my English class. She was pretty quiet, came in, introduced herself and told me that the counselor had switched her English classes. I didn't think much about it: After all, in the past three weeks, I had recieved roughly 7 new student--about one every other day. Kids in this school move classes like I shower: frequently. Don't like a teacher? Switch classes. Failing with one teacher? Switch classes. Threaten to beat up a teacher (yup)? Switch classes. Want a class with your friends? Switch classes. Whatever the "issue" may be, kids switch classes.
For three days last week, new girl #3 sat in my 3rd hour English class. Yesterday we took a quiz on the perfect tense of verbs. I told new girl #3 that she did not have to take it because she was not enrolled when I had taught the material, she was only there for 1 day of review. New girl #3 wanted to take it and she did. New girl #3 got the highest score in the class. I was excited; finally, they had given me someone smart! Most of my class failed the quiz. Today when I expressed my displeasure and disgust in a very loud, conrolled voice, I mentioned that new girl #3 had the best score. I applauded new girl #3 and suddenly like 4 kids sitting around new girl #3 started giggling--something that always makes me uneasy. Not seeing anything obvious, I dismissed it.
I asked new girl #3 where she had transferred in from and she told me Mrs. P. Mrs. P teaches next door to me.
At lunch I saw Mrs. P. and asked her about new girl #3. I asked her why new girl #3 had transferred. Please follow the conversation:
Me: Hey, do you know new girl #3?
Mrs. P: Yes, why
Me: Well, new girl #3 is really smart. I like her a lot.
Mrs. P.: Me too. She's one of my brightest students.
Me: Why did new girl #3 transfer out of your class?
Mrs. P: (with a look of confusion) Transfer? She hasn't transferred. I saw her during 4th hour.
Me: Yes she did, she's in my 3rd hour.
Mrs. P: No she's not. I just saw her.
Me: Yes she did. I just had her and she just took a quiz and got the highest grade.
Mrs. P: What? Are you sure? She has dark hair right and was wearing a really really low cut top today?
Me: Yes. That's her. I'm telling you she's been coming to my class, taking notes and taking quizzes.
Mrs. P: Has she shown up on your attendance roster?
Me: Um...not yet. I was going to talk to counselor X this afternoon about that.
You get the idea.
After about 5 minutes, I realized that new girl #3 had NOT transferred into my class, was NOT a new student, and was NOT being completely honest.
New girl #3, who is now kicked out girl #1 was angry with her art teacher and had been skipping for a week and just hanging out is my English class because she heard it was "fun."
*Salty Teacher #1*
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment