Sunday, September 7, 2008

I'm (finally) Back! and Hurricanes

So for the people who have been clamoring for my return to the blogosphere, here it is. I've taken a month long vacation and it was wonderful.

Evidently we didn't get the message the first time, because Mother Nature is sending another fast and furious message. Hurricanes Gustav, Hanna and Ike have been pummeling the South. Once again, people are fleeing as fast as their eco friendly cars can take them away from the disaster area. But, for every four people with good sense who leave, there is some idiot on a shrimp boat in the middle of the gulf who refuses to take heed to the warning.

I think part of the problem is the way the hurricanes are named. Quite frankly, there is nothing alarming about "Katrina" or "Hanna" and the only person "Ike" might bother is 1970s Tina Turner. Those names do not scream impending disaster; instead, the sound like "Church Picnic on Sunday."

I propose the the National Weather Service do the citizens a favor and rename the hurricanes accordingly.

Level 1-"Don't Bother to Worry about This" or "Big Thunderstorm, Nothing Serious"
Level 2- "You Might Get more Wet than Normal" or "Bring the Dog Inside"
Level 3- "Stock up on Water" "Buy Candles" or "IF You Live in Your Parent's Basement, Ask for A Temporary Upgrade to the Attic"
Level 4-"Get the Hell Outta Dodge" This May Kick Your Ass" "or "Don't Bother to Pack when you Evacuate"
Level 5- "Killer!" "Instant Death" "Catastrophe is Immient" "Are You Fucking Serious? You're STILL in Town?"

I think if the hurricanes were named more according to the system I've established, the idiot on the shrimp boat in the middle of the gulf might take the warning a little more serious.

*M*

1 comment:

Cece said...

:-)
I've missed you AP. Welcome back.