Last week I decided to start keeping tabs of the ridiculous things kids say. In addition to being told, "Ms. D, Tim (the antagonist in a fictional poem we were reading) needs to grow some balls," and in addition to hearing one of my SpEd kids create his own metaphor, "sleep is an orgasm," my favorite still remains what one of my 6th period boys said:
During passing time, one of my boys got into good natured verbal combat with another boy. I ignored them, because the two boys are friends and they were clearly having fun with one another. There was no cursing involved, just the typical teenage football-basketball player ribbing. After a few seconds, however, I heard one of them retort definitively, "Douche Bag!"
My co-teacher and I looked up at the same time she said, "don't say that." (the classic teacher response to inappropriate stuff that's not quite bad enough to be sent to the office).
He loooked up quizzically. "What? What did I do?"
She replied again, "You can't call him that. It's inappropriate."
He said, "What did I say?" and sat down, clearly confused as to why he was getting "yelled at."
He then turned to the girl next to him and said, honestly and earnestly, "What's a douche bag?"
*M*
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment