Sunday, September 9, 2007

Cats

Before I start writing and get the PETA people all upset, let me preface this by saying that I like animals. As a little girl, I had two dogs, (Sailor and Champaigne) and a Rabbit (Peter). I loved my animals. My dogs were friendly and I used to walk my rabbit down the street on a leash. I eat meat and I even have worn a fur coat on an occasion or two. So, it is clear that I do like animals.

I really like cats. Like me, they are fiercely independent and just snobbish enough you get the picture, but not so snobby that they make you uncomfortable to be around. Like me, they like to be petted and shown affection. Like me, they can take a nap anywhere and at any time. We have a lot in common.

With that being said: I ABHOR the pack of alley cats that congregrate around my doorstep. One of my neighbors, I am not sure who, has taken to feeding the feral cats--I know because yesterday I saw three bowls of cat food under the bush not far from my door. So, unless the cats are going to the closest grocery store, purchasing Purina and serving themselves in old relish containers, I am pretty certain that one of my neighbors has taken to feeding them.

When I first moved in, the feral cats would scatter whenever they saw me coming. The scatter morphed into a slow saunter and the saunter has now developed into a yawn and a slight head turn. I like it better when they scattered.

Why why why would someone feed feral cats? I am not heartless. In my old neighborhood there were a fair amount of jet black feral cats--my sister and I nicknamed them the Parkside Pumas. Trust me, feral cats are NOT incapable of finding their own food: I know this because I once saw one leap in the air with it claws extended, hiss and snatch a pidgeon midair. I then saw it drag the pidgeon to the alley where I assume it became a tasty cat snack.

I don't want to kill the cats; I just want them to go away. Does anyone know of a humane way to get rid of 10 feral cats? I thought about dropping off two or three big dogs, but I also know that feral cats do not shy from a fight.

*M*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You call every cat you come in contact with "feral." What are you going to do--pay someone to take them out? This is soooo funny!

Q_Crush said...

i HATE cats too... set them on fire LOL j/k

Evelyn Parkside said...

Hi! Who are you q_crush? Do we know each other?
*M*

Speak said...

umm call the humane society, maybe set out some food at a certain time you want them to be picked up...however....that may mess up mother nature and the food chain, for all you know the "feral" cats keep the mice in check..just a thought

Zephyros said...

My god, it's an epidemic! My neighborhood (which, incidentally, is neither in Vegas nor Detroit) is also plagued with cats and the insane people who feed them (and subsequently all the rats, mice, lazy bats, indiscriminate dogs and poorly-parented children of the area). I also do not know what to do about them.

I too have seen them shift from being extremely wary of me to being comfortable enough to attempt to share fleas.

Maybe we can pay for a nationwide radio ad (I hear they like NPR) and falsely inform them of a Club Med Feral Cat mixer in Aruba, or something. Then they'll all fly out of the country.

Speak said...

I'm so mad you said poorly parented children!!!