My Master's degree in Reading Education was conferred last month. According to the State of Michigan and Wayne State University, I can effectively teach anyone how to read. I can develop and manage reading programs. I can save the world.
Yay.
When I made the decision to move to Vegas, one of the key factors was that I would be able to move out of the classroom and into an administrative position very quickly. My goals included running a reading program and perhaps at some point writing reading curriculum. I'm ambitious, so I moved.
I found out last week that in order to become an administrator, I need a Master's degree in Administration. I do not have a Master's degree in Administration; I have a Master's degree in Reading. So this means that it's back to school I go. I can't say that was in the plan. Time to earn yet another degree, take yet another set of courses and write yet another set of "observations and notes." Time to go back to sitting in classrooms until 8:00 pm, reading books about leadership and "looking inward to find the inner strength." Time to look at www.half.com for cheap textboks, work three jobs to stay out of debt and practice how not to have some sort of emotional nervous breakdown. Time for hold credits, group projects and study sessions.
I'm at a crossroads. So, I'll let a random group of friends and strangers decide my fate. Should I go back to school or not? I can get the certification in 24 credits since I already possess the Master's degree.
Teaching is the only profession where so much education is required and so little pay is doled.
*M*
Sunday, September 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
i dont know what to tell you cuzz ihave the same delimma too because i need to determine if im going back for my masters or not
ITS A BITCH
who are you mysterious q_crush person? I think I know and if your name startes with Q and ends with N then I do...if not, then reveal yourself :)
welp! I say don't get it, just write your own curriculum, implement it in a non-profit afterschool program type thing. track your data and then market it to the schools...but then I am the hypocrite who said school is for fools yet trying to to go back for another 7-10.. so that is my advice though you may not want to take it :)
There can be little doubt about my position about going back to school. I certainly can understand your frustration, given the circumstances, but it seems as though you have found a relatively streamlined path toward your goal. I often wish (even vocally) that I were in graduate school already, but the work I must do before I get there is unavoidable.
It ain't easy, but I know it's for my own happiness and welfare. It's for the best.
Go, by all means, go!
Yeah, so I'm really really late. And you've probably pressed on with whichever you decided as your course of action. Nevertheless, I am here to offer my invaluable 2 cents. Go to school. It's 24 credits. And once you have it, you'll always have it. I took your advice by the way so if nothing else, we'll be roughing it together ;-)
I, too, say absolutely go back to school. Not that my opinion means much. I have a PhD now and am probably earning less $ than you are in Vegas! But it sounds as if my days are less stressful . . .
go back! you'll enjoy it! you are clearly a life-long learner!
Post a Comment