Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Vegas Weather

I can't say I understand how weather works in Vegas.

Remember, I grew up in the Midwest, in a small, family-oriented town called Detroit. I am used to thermal underwear, grey snow and temperatures cold enough to freeze wet hair on a bear's arse. I'm used to winter melting into spring, spring warming into summer, summer cooling into fall and fall kicking ass into winter--in other words, four distinct seasons. I'm used to blue jays, cardinals, and the occasional mentally patient our Governor let out on the street. I'm also used to the temperature telling the truth.

Last week, I was outside having dinner with a friend around 10:00 pm. The weather was balmy, even breezy. At some point, I wished I had brought a light jacket. Because my body is used to distict seasons and experiencing temperatures ranging from -40 to 105 degrees, I consider myself a pretty good estimator on the temperature. I was certain, based on my internl thermometer, that the temperature was somewhere between 73-77 degrees. That is, until I checked the thermometer: 95 degrees. Where in the world is it really 95 degrees, but it feels like 74? How does that happen?

No comments: