Last night I went out with a teacher gay boyfriend of mine (this becomes relevant somewhere a little later). He's my GBF in Vegas and I absolutely love him to death. We always have tons of fun together and last night, after we ate dinner, he invited me to an awards show his students were participating in. (as a side note, his kids do not KNOW he's gay. I"m sure most speculate, but they don't know.)
We got to the banquet and show and walked in together. First, all the kids in the choir turned and stared at me--some looking with utter disbelief, some looking with sheer confusion, most looking with intense curiosity. After we walked to the back, it hit me, "Oh they think we're a couple." This made me laugh (internally, of course) because my friend is gay. So as we stood at the back, he whispers in my ear "Right now they're all confused and wondering who you are. And half of them are saying 'But I thought he was GAY!!!' to their friends. Let's keep them confused." and smiled with a devilish half-grin. You all know nothing makes me happier than confusing a group of kids so I was all game.
About 5 minutes into the show, he whispers to me again: "I think one of my students has a crush on me. What should I do?" and points her out to me. I dismissed it, knowing that kids get crushed on teachers all the time. Fast forward to the end of the show. I was still standing next to him and a bunch of his kids were crowding around to talk to him. I was kind of like the proverbial third wheel. Little crush girl ignores the crowd of building students and boldly walks right up to me. She sticks her hand out and introduces herself "Hi, my name is Carmen. And you are?" Trying not to laugh, I introduce myself and congratulate their team. She then proceeds to look me up and down, grim me and say "I'm one of his students." (Emphasis on the word I'm, please) turn her back to me, push her way to the front, give him a hug (the only one to do so) and say "Mr. Little, have you done something different with your hair?" He politely pushes her away and tells her to find her mother.
Let us reflect on this: 15-year-old Carmen straight checks me for being with her teacher at a public event, grims me, hugs him, inquires about his new grooming habits, and, he's gay.
As we walked away, my friend says "She sure told you." and we cracked up all the way to the car.
Ahhh Carmen...you have so much to learn.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment