Sunday, April 20, 2008

Fish aren't fat

Fish, unlike cows, dogs, pigs and people do not ever seem to get fat. I have eaten a lot of fish in my life, from tuna to salmon, and swordfish to blue marlin and all of the fish that I've eaten have all been lean, mean, swimming machines. So, using the logic that fish aren't fat, today I started swimming again. It quickly became painfully obvious to me why fish, indeed, are not fat.

I like to imagine myself like a graceful butterfly, gliding through the air (or, in this case, water) deftly parting the seas and almost floating from destination to destination. Sometimes, in my mind I'm like a water ballerina, buoyantly dancing a classical dance. However, indeed, as I found myself choking and spitting out gallons of water after I mistakenly confused the "breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose rule" that swimmers really should live by if they do not wish to drown, I realized that I do not look like a graceful butterfly or a water ballerina. Instead, I look more like an angry octopus, flailing limbs through the water hoping to grab whatever comes its way.

But back to fish not being fat. After my third lap in the pool and gasping for air and feeling the heavy heavy weight of my legs dragging me toward the bottom of the pool I thought to myself "wow...fish have to do this all day, every day without rest. No wonder they arent' fat."

Anywho, I am not a fish.

*M*

No comments: