Today, as my kids were actively engaged in silent reading, I did what all the teacher books tell you to do: model good behavior by engaging in whatever activity the children are engaged in. I like to read, so I pulled up a chair and began reading right with my students. After about 10 minutes, I saw one of my girls staring almost awkardly at my hair, which can currently be best described as a mass of black wave like curls, since I no longer have a relaxer. After getting tired of being stared at, I asked her as politely as I could muster what she was looking at. She apprehensively replied "there's something in your hair Ms. Daughtery." Well, I had washed the black mass last night so I figured it was a feather from my pillow or perhaps a piece of stray lint from my suit jacket. I replied "well, please get it."
Now, before I go any further, let me explain that I am one of 3 black teachers in my building and I have less than 10 black students. I am the only black female in the building (that I am aware of ) who has natural hair and it gets a varied amount of responses, from sheer amazement to inquiry to confusion. I'm kind of used to it now, and my kids have seen my hair from every texture ranging from the "Easy, Breezy Covergirl straight out of the chair and hot comb wrap" to the "Cleopatra Jones yeah, I washed it and blow dried it out so it is a big as I can make it." No matter what, it is always a source of conversation, amusement and amazement. Cultural tolerance...
Back to the story. She goes to grab, what I think is a feather or a piece of lint, or hell, knowing me a paperclip I stuck in there so I wouldn't lose it or a pen so a kid wouldn't steal it, and tentatively like pats my head. Irritated, I say to her, "just get it." By now all of my class is watching. Another kid next to her says "yeah, there is something. I think it's a string." Now I'm curious and I grab up to where she is pointing and consistently miss the spot. I finally say "Just yank it." So she does.
She grabs and yanks.
She hands it to me.
A grey hair.
*M*
Monday, April 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment