Sunday, August 12, 2007

10 Steps to Crashing a Party

This evening I wanted to go out. But, having no money in my budget for partying, I decided that my only option was to find somewhere to crash. I ended up crashing the BEST party I have been to in years: the National Association of Black Journalists party at the Bellagio. NABJ--which I am evidently now a member of--hosted their annual convention in LV this weekend. Below are my sure fire steps to crashing any party, designed especially for the Champagne and Oyster girl who is working with a beer and hotdog budget.

10. Do your research. Find out what events are happening in your city. The web is your BEST friend for this task. If you are in a big city, this should be easy as the city's website may post pertinent information about upcoming conventions. If you are in a smaller city, your options may be limited. I suggest you make a list of the hotels downtown and check their websites or call their front desks to find out who they are hosting in the upcoming weeks.

9. After finding out who is coming, check the organization's website. Most likely the entire schedule will not be posted, but you should have a good idea of the host hotel, and the major events. Most professional organiations will have an opening event, a bunch of workshops, a party and a banquet. You want the party and the banquet because food and libations will be provided.

8, Get the attire for the party you are crashing. Almost any party can be crashed, but you have to look and act the part. For example, when crashing a wedding, wear a nice dress and heels. When crashing a hoedown, wear jeans and boots. When crashing a biker convention, wear something black and tight--preferably leather.

7. Eat a light meal. Light enough that if you get in you still have room for the good food, but if you get denied you are not starving.


6. Get dressed and show up at the event. This takes 2 parts gumption, 2 parts creativity and 6 parts nerve. When you get dressed, make sure to bring a LARGE purse. This will be essential for carrying back goodies: this evening I got a bottle of Toriani Hazlenut syrup for my coffee and several small pots of honey.

5. Find and talk to the people who actually belong at the event. From the people there, get as much information as you can about the event. For instance, ask things like: "are you going to the banquet tomorrow? I can't remember where it is, do you?" or "Hey, do you know if you need tickets for this? I left my convention booklet in the room." or "Dang girl, I left my ID in my other purse. Can I walk in with you?" This evening I found the migrating hoards of black folks and walked with them, talked with them, basically made myself fit in as a journalist.

4. Be friendly and SMILE. Make small talk. Let others lead the conversation and chime in when ONLY wheny you have enough info about the event to make an intelligent comment.

3. When walking to the table where name badges are being checked, walk with LOTS of CONFIDENCE. Remember, you belong here as much as everyone else. (ok, not really, but your dinner can depend on it) Walk right into the ballroom/conference center and only stop if someone asks you to. (The rules for what to do if you get stopped at the door will be coming at a later time).

2. Find out if the bar is cash and carry or open. Find the food tables. Enough said.

1. Scope out at least 2 emergency exits if you have to leave quickly and decide on an alternate name for the evening. I like my middle name and the street I grew up on--I won't forget who I am if I need to give a fake name.

I guarantee you can crash any party with these 10 simple steps. I have crashed parties on Capitol Hill (I really have), wedding, bbqs, family reunions, birthday parties and conventions. I have never been denied access. :)

Tonight I partied with Tom Joyner (he MCeed the event) and Oleta Adams performed! The event was called Chocolate City and there were beautiful flowing fountains of white and dark Godiva chocolate, marshmallows, strawberries, melons, berries, a beautiful (and expensive) cheese spread, etc. When the party music came on, I QUICKLY found other Deltas and Bruhs and had a PHENOMINAL time. This was the best party I've been to in months. I also met some sorors from LV who were at the party.

Oh, I also bought a bed and a mattress. :) My floor days are ending.

Crashing a party- $0.
Drinks- $0
Membership in the NABJ-$0
Partying with Tom Joyner, Jacqui Reid, and Oleta Adams? Priceless.

Tomorrow I will be talking about my field trip to the hood.

*M*

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow G3!!! Nobody informed the babies at family dinner that Fertile was insane... Im Proud to Be!! LOL! Seriously, you should start working on a novel before the introduction of technological advances into your household eliminates the possibility of any creative influence beyond your interior walls. Think about it (no pun intended), once you buy a tv, you'll return to wasting away ambiguous evenings watching ethnic tales of suburban Black people living the American dream, instead of being the main character in a live ghetto melodrama!
Anywho...Im in NABJ! Well, I kinda was in NABJ last year.I wish I couldve smoozed with the rich and famous! Next time bring your portfolio and accidentally drop your resume in their briefcase;-) Im starting to wonder if there were some party crashers at regionals because there were a few "Sorors" looking kinda sketchy...IMPOSTERS!!! I must admit...I did sneak into the collegiate luncheon myself. hehe.

Tammy said...

Well Miah, it seems like you are adjusting well. Crashing parties so soon, most people don't do that until like the 2nd week, lol. Anywho, I agree with Shakira and she beat me to the point I was going to raise eventually. You should write some sort of book or novel. You have a very creative writing style and I've literaly (sp?) laughed about ten times reading this stuff. You have tons of stories to expand on, moving to a new city, being alone, finding comfort in a plant, surviving on a budget, crashing parties. What's not to love, it's the beginning of a wonderful turn of events for a central character.

Tammy said...

By the way, I think you should name your plant, Aloysius.

Unknown said...

Sands, you are freaking hilarious!!! I have been in my office cracking up for the past 10 mins!! I can't wait to come visit you. First item on our itinerary is to hit Target so i can at least get you one of those one-person dinnerware and FULL utensil sets. I can't have you out there eating like we still reside up in Baits :) ~Ronda

Anonymous said...

M - I would never have the balls to do this by myself. I'm glad you're adjusting to LV like somewhat. I love the Bellagio - we stay there often when my hubby and I come to LV. Keep blogging - it seems like it helps you relax

Nikki said...

This is hilarious, I am at my desk laughing on the inside...smiling on the outside. I am glad i checked my spam box to get this message out. You will make it I am sure and i will keep checkin in to see how u are coming along. I read it like a movie...makes it even funnier to see u wandering around the supermarket taking up countless samples, when u know u are only supposed to get 1. LOL!! Keep busy :)