Friday, August 31, 2007

No hablas Espanol


Today I experiened one of my greatest failures as a teacher.

My English classes are very large--the largest has 39 students and the smallest has 31. That's a lot of kids. Needless to say, I'm still learning names and putting personalities with people. The desks in my class are arranged in a T position and the kids on the outside sit near the wall. Most of my students are friendly, warm, excited and ready to get started. Most of them participate on a regular basis. Most of them smile and are really happy about being in the 8th grade.

My classroom is the epitome of multiculturalism. It's like the United Nations had a convention and forgot to tell me that I would be the speaker. Let me break down for you the ethnic backgrounds in my classes: (in no particular order)

Jewish
African-American
White
1/2 African American, 1/2 White
1/2 Philipino, 1/2 Black
1/2 Hawaiian 1/2 Black
Hawaiian
Cuban
Brazilian
Columbian
Puerto Rican
Mexican
Indian
Asian
Native American
Irish
New Yorkian

That's what I remember off of the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. Anyhow, for the most part I absolutely love it. My classes are teeming with ethnic diversity; I feel like I'm becoming a better person because I'm working with so many different kinds of people.

So why do I feel like a failure?

Today, (keep in mind that school has been in session since Monday) I gave my kids their first quiz. It was fairly simple and only 10 short questions. All of the questions we had been going over since Monday. I knew that all of my kids would get an A. I passed out the papers and sighed contentedly.

Then, a small hand raised tentatively in the air. A little boy was trying to get my attention. I recognized him (having seen him all week) and what I remembered was that he was very quiet in class. I quickly walked to his desk to address his concerns. When I got to his desk, he looked up at me:

"I no speak English." Silence.

I said something back (in English, mind you because I speak no Spanish. This was not helpful, because he looked back at me again and said "I no speak English.")

How had I let and entire week go by without recognizing that this child does not speak English in an ENGLISH class? How am I supposed to teach this child English when he knows NONE of the langauge? I am already planning to have my students analyzing writing and begin writing narratives in two weeks! I'm very frustrated and also a bit sad. It makes me feel horrible to know that there is a child in my class that is perpetually lost and confused.

The irony is, the only Spanish I know is: No hablas Espanol.

So at least we can tell each other we can't talk to each other.

Anyone with any suggestions, please share.

*M*

Again, this picture has nothing to do with this post. I just like it. Hey Tam!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the love Miah. Who is that man? I don't appear to be drunk in the photo yet I can't seem to remember that picture at all.

Evelyn Parkside said...

we were at Grand Central Lounge last summer and the drunk man in the photo bought ALL our drinks for the night :) so we took a picture with him.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that's right, HE was drunk!!! No wonder I look so scared and uncomfortable!

Anonymous said...

thats a lot like the inviorment I work in Miah. I work for the Massachutesetts medicaid program, so it is very diversified.I love it like that :o)
mike

Anonymous said...

you know i love you dearly babe. its been a pleasure being your friend thes last several years.
i love you dearly from atlanta!!! -E.H.