Friday, August 10, 2007

Getting a Pet

Today I realized that I am utterly and completely alone. This may not bother some, and quite frankly does not terribly bother me, but it is a bit disconcerting--especially since I have always lived with others. In fact, my last residence was coined "Habitat for Humanity" because of the amount of family members who would pop in for a night and stay for four years (namely me, thanks Aunt Linda, Aunt Julie and Contessa). So, as one might expect, to be completely alone poses a bit of a culture shock.

So I decided to get a pet. Preferably a dog, but a cat or even a few cute goldfish would do for the time being.

Upon further investigation, however, I realized a few very important things: pets cost money, $400 deposit and $25 rent each month at my apartment. Pets need to eat on a regular basis and I was told that neither cats nor dor dogs nor goldfish will or can eat PB&J. Pets need a bed, a blanket, their OWN bowl...all things that I am not willing to provide at this juncture of my life. I am also not willing to share my only bowl and only blanket right now eather. Evidently , I am not in the buisness of putting up anoyone right now, be he man or beast.

But the problem of me not having a companion did not go away. So I compromised:

I got a plant.

A very nice plant, but a plant nonetheless. I even got a plant that needs less than I--only the occasional water and sunshine. I got a plant that can do some things for me, should the need arise. My aloe vera plant will provide me with a soothing balm in the event that I get burn or a cut on any part of my body. My plant will breathe in my carbon dioxide and breathe out nice, clean oxygen (thanks 5th grade biology) so I am guaranteed to have fresh air on a daily bais.

So I am no longer alone, I have ready made balm AND unlimited clean air! Who needs a dog?

*M*

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Miah you are a nut, but I like where your head is at. The plant would make a wonderful addition. I mean it isn't cuddly but it also doesn't crap all over the place. It won't lick you in adoration but you can go out all day and not have to worry about running home to walk it before it goes stir crazy. There are pros and cons to everything. You made a wise decision. What did you name the plant?

Evelyn Parkside said...

Hey Tam! My plant still needs a name. Make a suggestion. :)

Anonymous said...

Let's name the plant "Ozone"

Anonymous said...

lol...this is hilarious

-Danielle <3