Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bowls: The Magical Wonderdish

I realized something very very important today: moving is incredibly expensive. I am seriously thinking of moonlighting as a pole dancer...

Anyway, as I was in Target earlier today trying to choose between dishes and an iron, I was able to get both-even though I am on a very tight budget. I just had to change my thought process:

I did not buy a set of dishes. Right now, I do not need a set of dishes. I have nothing to cook and therefore nothing to put it on. However, realizing that food will be coming one day, I decided to be prepared: so I bought a bowl. Why a bowl? Well, ANYTHING can go into a bowl, but not EVERYTHING can go on a plate. Case in point: if I want some soup, I can put it in the bowl but not on the plate. If I want a sandwich, I can cut it in half and put it on a plate, or in a bowl. Bowls can hold anything.

Because I bought the bowl and not the set of plates, I was also able to spring for the iron.

Someone asked me earlier what would happen if I wanted a sandwich to go with my soup. Easy, the soup goes in the bowl and the sandwich goes on the napkins I stole from McDonalds earlier. All foodstuffs are happy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...I think the Spoon is the wonderutensil. Think about it, anything you can eat with a fork, you can enjoy with a spoon. Take ice cream, for instance, or that soup you'll be having in your wonderbowl. No way you're having either of those with a fork. Spoons are a necessity, but forks are really luxury utensils. Of course we all love luxuries, but a smart girl must know when to draw the line. So if push ever comes to shove, I'll promptly surrender all of my forks. Course I can't say the same about my knives...you really need knives, although I don't think that takes anything away from the spoon's glory.

Tammy said...

What has been said about the bowl is true! It is a Wonderdish in the sense that it can be used with basicly any food item. But if that's the general definition we are using to define a wonder-anying then I'm still unsure about this spoon concept. I mean, what if you want to eat a nice medium well porterhouse? A spoon won't work with that and being the lady that I am I won't want to use my hands. So lets make a compromise, I nominate the spork (you know, the half spoon, half fork contraption you get from Taco Bell) as the true Wonderuntensil. Who's with me?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tammy; the spork is the ideal utensil. I say go to Taco Bell and invest in a set of sporks. Better yet, go hang out in a school cafeteria, (schools almost in, right?) ... and get yourself a real set of silverware; they'll never miss 'em.

And as far as beds go, rough rugs and hard floors builds charachter.

But tell us how you like the desert summer? It's monsoon season now, so I'm thinking the heat and humidity are at their peak?

Kelly said...

I agree that we must not surrender the knives. I have a huge knife that sits in my drawer next to my bed. I didn't have any flatware for the first few days after my move, but I definitely had my knife. Her name is Pearl by the way...why, I don't know.