Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's not so much that I'm selfish, as much as it is I don't like sharing

So, kitten is gone.

I gave LG away to my friend Daphne yesterday. I thought it was the best decision for everyone involved.

There are just some things that I don't like and, quite frankly, don't really want to compromise on at this particular juncture in my life: being licked, groomed, kneaded and bathed by a cat; having a cat sleep on my pillow after it's just left it's litter box; having cat claws sink into and latch onto my very delicate skin, thus causing unsightly scratches and pain; hearing a kitten cry every night when it got locked out of the boudoir; watching a kitten leap onto my clean kitchen table and try to attack a glass vase of fresh cut flowers; having a cat jump on my lap when I'm on the toilet (of all the things I just mentioned, that was easily the worst); having a cat--albeit playfully--tear a run in my last pair of panty hose while I get dressed for work; and, tripping and almost busting my ass when kitten decides to shoot out from under the bed as I walk by.

Now, in all fairness, LG wasn't all bad. In fact, he/she was kind of cute and really endearing. Quite loveable. Warm. Soft. Cuddly. But, hey, sometimes you gotta say "you know what, this really isn't working out. It isn't you--it's me." There is something to be said for knowing when to cut your losses.

And, if I'm to tell the truth and shame the devil, yesterday I forgot about the cat and closed the door with its food and water. I felt so bad when I got in and saw the closed door. I immediately called Daphne, packed a bag with his/her belongings and got him emotionally ready for a new care giver.

We had a long talk. I think, in the end, he/she understood. It's for the best.

Maybe I"ll get a dog. Or a fish. Fish are easy and expendable.

*M*

No comments: