Monday, January 21, 2008

Living Alone...

So as many of you know, I am currently living alone in Las Vegas. I"m not dating anyone and I don't have a boyfried (try not to dwell on the negative, please) so most days (and nights) it's just me and the plants.

Two nights ago, around 8:00 pm, a loud, harsh startled me. Not, expecting company, I walked to the door quite confused. Anywho, long story short, some kid was going door-to-door selling magazine subscriptions. I'm from Detroit and only 2 kinds of people come door-to-door: the Jehovah Witnesses (when they came at 8:00 am on Saturday mornings, my mom would turn off all the lights and we would all sit quietly) and the Mormons (young men in black pants, white button-downs and skinny black ties. Two were brave enough to come to my house at 8:00 pm one evening and got told to go where the sun don't shine). Essentially in my city, most people are not brave or stupid enough to come a-knockin'--especially in the evening when it is dark.

So, when I effectively shooed Opie away from my doorstep, with my knife in hand, I heard him go next door to my neighbor, an elderly woman. She let him in.

I waited about 6 minutes, looking out the window and praying that the police would be able to get some DNA from her fingernail scrapings when they found her chopped up in the desert. After I heard random magazine guy leave, I went to her apartment to make sure she was ok.

She was. And she had been suckered into buying two magazine subscriptions. This is the same woman who feeds the feral cats.

*M*

No comments: